zelda’s skills

Hi everyone! I’m Zelda (they/them) and I work as a software engineer. I graduated with a B.A. in computer science, but spent most of my time in college taking classes focusing on 1) women and gender sexuality studies, and 2) ethnicity, race, & migration. I’ll share some of my skills below:

Developer: I work primarily in Python and SQL. I have a lot of experience with data analysis and visualization. Some technologies especially relevant to Digital Humanities that I’ve worked with include D3.js, ArcGIS StoryMap, WordPress, Voyant, and R. I tend to pick up new technologies quickly. I have experience with web development in JavaScript, HTML, and CSS. For my undergraduate thesis, I developed a web application to visualize climate change in the United States using HTML, CSS, Jinja, JavaScript, D3.js, Python, and Flask. I created 5 different visualizations measuring climate through the following aspects: 1) carbon dioxide emissions, 2) severe weather events, 3) global sea level, 4) global temperature, and 5) environmental bills.

Data manager: As part of my thesis work, I spent a lot of time searching for datasets relevant to my project. I’d like to further develop my skills creating, managing, and navigating databases, especially with regards to integrating and/or creating APIs (Application Programming Interfaces).

Project manager: I tend to think thoroughly about the big picture. I am great at breaking down a large project into smaller, more manageable tasks that are delegated across a group of people. Deadlines tend to be difficult for me to realistically set, but it is a skill I hope to develop if given the opportunity to do so.

UX/Designer: I have a basic understanding of design concepts, which has proven useful in my experiences as a web developer. I have some experience with designing social media posts using Canva. I would love to shadow any designers interested in sharing their skills!